Thursday, December 6, 2012

idiomas

I've studied Spanish and Portuguese for years and am reasonably adept at languages; I'm good at mimicking sounds and tones and have a decent memory for vocab. Thai is, of course, a far more complicated animal. I've picked up a little through osmosis, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't put that much effort into learning it. It's such a daunting task that undertaking it for the sake of a one-year stint seemed silly to me, and laziness did the rest.

But I have enough for pleasantries, at least the initial ones. I can tell the cashier I don't want a bag and that I don't have a member card, and I can give her the correct amount when she tells me the total. These feel like huge accomplishments and I'm always rather proud of myself.

At this point, said cashier is super excited because it's rare that she meets a foreigner who speaks Thai. She compliments me on my skills (I know that one) then proceeds to say...some other stuff. She seems to be asking a question now...oh god, smile and nod...nope, appears not to have been a yes/no question...search purse for exact change...not what she wanted...abandon ship!

"I dont understand," I say, a phrase I learned within a day of arrival. I'm defeated. She's laughing hysterically. She says nevermind, tells me I have pretty hair, and gives me my change.

I scurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment