Tuesday, May 15, 2012

hablar

On a rainy weekend in mid-April, Levi and I got on a bus with forty adult English students and rode to Hervás, a beautiful Medieval town tucked into the snow-capped mountains of northern Extremadura. The group of students came from the Official Language School in Almendralejo, a small city near Zafra. The activity was a three-day language immersion. Levi and I, along with four language school teachers and nine other native speakers, were to see to it that not a word of Spanish was uttered all weekend.

I had expected it to be formal, maybe a bit tedious, but we actually had a fantastic time. Every hour I met with a different group of three or four students to play games, take a walk, have a beer, or just talk. Saturday night everyone piled into a little rec center at our campground and learned some highly effective American drinking games, much to the displeasure of the rent-a-cops. On Sunday we took a hike into the village. We stayed in a cute little cabin with four Spanish guys, all of whom we've met up with since. It was a great weekend.


Borrowed from the internet because my pictures are on my crashed harddrive, but this is a good representative shot of the town

At dinner with our cabin mates

The whole group

1 comment:

  1. That is really neat Savannah. You are on a special adventure and learning so much along the way. You will value this the rest of your life. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy reading your blog. I miss you. Always be safe.
    LOve you much,
    Grandma Marie

    ReplyDelete