Saturday, November 13, 2010

career?

I’m starting to get into the swing of teaching. I’m learning how to draw responses out of the shyest students and how to keep the attention of twenty twelve-year-olds for fifty minutes, and I’m increasingly able to recognize what’s working and what’s not and improve on the lesson as I go. I’ve developed a slow, deliberate, half-British way of speaking that most of the students can understand but that doesn’t admit of any Spanish-accented mispronunciations; my goal is to be comprehensible while demonstrating a correct accent, and I seem to have found the balance. I’m learning how to make a classroom fun without completely losing control of it (although this one is still a bit of a challenge).

The only real problem I’m still running into is with my two fourth-year classes. The teacher is just impossible—this week she spent the duration of both my lessons socializing with the students, who obviously ceased to listen to anything I was saying, focusing instead on her all-Spanish conversations about the drunken weekend escapades of the too-cool-for-this crowd. I discovered this week that until a few years ago, English classes here were, as a rule, taught entirely in Spanish. Students didn’t study it as a foreign language, but as a science; it was something to take classes in so that you could say later that you took classes in it, but there was never any intention of actually speaking it. This teacher is clearly a remnant of this ridiculous system and these kids are happy to play along with this lazy method. They can’t even construct sentences; I spent twenty minutes explaining that a sentence needs a verb to be a sentence (obviously true in Spanish as well), and discovered that they had no idea what I was talking about (even after I broke down and explained it in Spanish).

Each of these classes also has the obligatory back corner of smartasses, a group of spiky-haired boys and heavily made-up girls rolling their eyes at everything I say and talking and laughing through all my lessons. Frankly, and maybe I’m terrible for this, but I’ve mostly given up on trying to help these kids. It’s more important to them to show off than to learn English, and most of their questions are intended to just fuck with me and eat up class time. I only have fifty minutes a week with these kids, and I think it’s unfair to the hard-working ones to waste any of that time helping a jock stroke his ego.

In future teaching jobs, I think I’ll be avoiding teenagers.

But my first years are amazing, even the ones in the larger, non-bilingual classes. They’re happy to put forth some effort, which is so encouraging. I’ve only been at work six weeks and I’m already hearing American English from these kids! They’ve stopped saying “jes” and “joo” and I’m hearing “yes” and “you,” something I can’t even say for most of the English teachers here. I mention a new word off-hand at the beginning of a lesson and they’re using it in sentences at the end. They remember pronunciations of strange words like “cupboard” and “Greenwich” after just one repetition. I accused my bilingual group of “giggling” too much in Art the other day, and five hours later they were (between giggles, of course) telling their Social Studies teacher about this funny new word they learned. They actually enjoy this.

The second-years are great too, despite the fact that they are entering their teen years and developing little attitudes. They took bilingual classes last year too, so they’ve had practice in this, and I’m constantly amazed by their abilities (especially when comparing them to students two years older than them who can’t form sentences). Their first-year math class has left them able to rattle off long numbers easily (as anyone whose learned a foreign language can attest, this is quite a challenge) and they speak beautifully about biology and art.

Last week we had a meeting with all of the teachers and parents of the bilingual program (first and second year) to explain to the families what’s going on in these strange half-English classes. Predictably, this was a group of parents highly interested in their kids’ educations and eager that they should learn English. I had to speak a bit (in Spanish, eeee), just introducing myself and talking about what I’m doing with the kids. Afterward a bunch of the parents were telling me that their kids like me and are enjoying my classes, which was really great to hear.

I didn’t think I’d like teaching so much—I was sort of looking at it as a means to the end of living abroad. But I’ve been surprised every day by how much fun I’m having with this. I think it’s something I could do for quite a while.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you are teaching...I'm so ready to get in a class and experience all the good and bad that you talked about. I'm glad you are having a good time. Just keep those good students in the front of your mind, maybe those kids in the back will join in later...Those kinds of kids are the reason I want to teach elementary school and not 6th and up, I remember how we were! :) Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá, Savannah. Reading these makes me excited to potentially do the same program in France or Spain. I must say I miss the hilarious sideways glances in Manuel and Darlene's classes (of which there are, painfully, 2 this semester, with another one to come before I graduate), but I get a pretty good dose of your humor reading these. Keep up the good work!

    -Brock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiky-haired boys and heavily made-up girls would be a great band name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ``Giggling'' IS a funny word, isn't it?
    I know what you mean about teenagers (your sister excepted, of course :) Maybe they're too far gone by that point to do anything for them, but the little kids sound great. I never thought you'd have much patience for little kids; Maybe you just needed to see them compared to teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Savannah, my mom and your dad are friends and my mom recommended your blog to me. I love it - it kind of reminds me of my days teaching English in Japan. I'm subscribed now and look forward to your future posts!

    - melanie

    ReplyDelete